The city of Alexandria has issued a series of recommendations designed to reduce the amount of traffic cutting through neighborhoods, following the work of a special task force.
The task force issued six recommendations impacting four neighborhoods, and the city staff is proposing to move forward with the changes within the next year.
Here are the recommendations:
- Afternoon/evening right tum restriction pilot from southbound East Taylor Run Parkway and Moncure Drive
- Reconfigure the East Taylor Run Parkway at South View Terrace intersection
- Add new and upgrade crosswalks throughout the four neighborhoods
- Design a midblock crossing on West Taylor Run Parkway to Angel Park
- Provide speed cushions on East Taylor Run, Yale Drive and North Jordon Street and upgraded cushions on West Taylor Run Parkway
- Begin to redesign the Duke Street at West Taylor Run Parkway intersection
The city began discussing ways to reduce cut-through traffic in 2015 after residents expressed concern about the problem. After a series of traffic studies and other research, the task force formed in July 2016.
Be the first to know about major events, transit disruptions and road closures. Subscribe to our free Capital Shortcut newsletter, served up for breakfast on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.