Bicyclists - and the motorists with whom they interact - are the target audiences for the Arlington County Police Department’s Safe Bicycling Initiative.
Through Tuesday, police officers have been engaging both bicyclists and drivers to educate them on cycling-related traffic laws and ordinances.
Some common bicyclist violations:
- Failure to ride on the right side of the road with traffic
- Failure to obey traffic signs and signals
- Failure to use hand signals to convey movement intent
- Failure to equip bikes with a front white light and a red or flashing-red light in the rear of the bike
- Failure to wear a helmet for riders ages 14 and younger
Some common motorist violations in relation to interactions with cyclists:
- Failure to yield
- Unsafe passing
- Unlawful speed forfeiting the right-of-way (we didn’t know about that one, either)
Check out the complete list of traffic laws and an overview of the Safe Bicycling Initiative here.