Interstate 95 was closed Northbound for several hours in the Fredericksburg area on Thursday afternoon after a high-speed chase involving Virginia State Police and a murder suspect.

One state trooper escaped injury after avoiding gunshots from the suspect during the pursuit, and a Stafford County Sheriff’s Deputy sustained minor injuries after a bullet shattered his windshield.

According to Virginia State Police, the timeline of events was as follows:

-At about 11:30 a.m. Thursday, State Troopers initiated a traffic stop on I-95 of a man suspected in a killing that took place moments earlier at a home Fredericksburg. The suspect, driving a black Ford Explorer, refused to stop, so a state trooper pursued him.

-The state trooper pursued the suspect beginning at mile marker 136 and continued for two miles until the suspect stopped in the center lane of the highway. Police said he then got out of the car and fired shots at the trooper’s car. One bullet broke through the windshield of the trooper’s car; the trooper escaped injury when he ducked and the bullet lodged in the front seat.

-When the trooper stopped his car after being shot, it triggered a chain reaction involving two other vehicles. No one was seriously hurt in that crash.

-The chase then continued until mile marker 140, with a Stafford County Sheriff’s Deputy joining in the pursuit.

-The suspect began firing a gun from his driver’s side window. One bullet went through the windshield of the Sheriff’s Deputy’s car, and the deputy sustained minor injuries.

-The pursuit resumed again until mile marker 142, when the suspect’s vehicle sideswiped another vehicle and lost control. His Ford Explorer hit a guardrail and flipped over. The suspect was flown to Fairfax Inova Hospital, where he was being treated for life-threatening injuries.


The police chase and related activity led to the closure of I-95 Nortbound in the area for several hours on Thursday. The highway eventually opened at about 5 p.m., there remained at least one lane closure as police conducted an investigation near Exit 136 at Centreport Parkway.

The Virginia Department of Transportation reported backups of as much as 13 miles. It also warned of possible delays heading southbound on I-95 during the evening rush hour.