Playoffs?! Are we really talking about playoffs in D.C? By the looks of Verizon Center on any given night recently, the answer is a resounding “yes.” Or “yesth,” if you’re missing a couple of front teeth like Alex Ovechkin. The Wizards continue their first-round NBA Eastern Conference series against Hawks this week, while the Capitals open the second round of the NHL Eastern Conference series against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday. And oh by the way, the Nationals have a home series this weekend against the Mets.
Plenty of impacts for Metro riders and anyone trying to ride a bus or drive through the Verizon Center/Chinatown area. For your planning purposes, here’s what the week looks like for upcoming home playoff games and the Mets-Nats series through the weekend.
Wednesday, April 26
Game 5: Hawks at Wizards, time TBD, Verizon Center
Thursday, April 27
Game 1: Penguins at Capitals, 7:30 p.m., Verizon Center
Friday, April 28
Mets at Nationals, 7:05 p.m., Nationals Park
Saturday, April 29
Mets at Nationals, 1:05 p.m., Nationals Park
Game 2: Penguins at Capitals, 8 p.m., Verizon Center
Sunday, April 30
Game 7 (if necessary): Hawks at Wizards, time TBD, Verizon Center
The Chinatown/Gallery Place Metro Station will be the epicenter of downtown activity on game night. If you’re riding the Metrorail or bus to the game, hopefully you have a full SmarTrip card or farecard with plenty of money for the round trip to and from the arena. If not, Metro provides these helpful bits of advice:
- Buy multiple farecards more quickly and easily by using the Passes/Farecards machine at Metrorail stations.
- Buy round-trip fare when first entering the system.
- Keep farecards clean and dry so they will work on the return trip home.
- When attending events at the Verizon Center, use other Metrorail stations in the vicinity, including Metro Center, Judiciary Square, and Archives.
- Listen to station and train announcements. Check the final destination displayed on the side of the train to be sure you’re boarding the right train.
- For more information on riding Metrorail or Metrobus, call 202-637-7000 or TTY 202-638-3780.