People wishing to contribute to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts may consider the online fundraising campaign started by Houston Texans star J.J. Watt.
Watt started by donating $100,000 of his own money to a Youcaring account. He progressively raised the campaign goal as donations poured in - from an original $2 million to $10 million, as of Thursday evening. Most notable were $1 million donations from Texans owner Amy Adams Strunk, a $1 million match by the NFL Foundation and a $1 million gift from Ellen Degeneres.
Here are a few other Hurricane Harvey funds to consider:
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund established by Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
- The American Red Cross is accepting donations on its website.
- AABB, which coordinates a task force to manage blood collection efforts during disasters, put out a public plea for blood donations Sunday. Most in demand is type O-positive blood.
- The Houston Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is accepting donations on its website.
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency recommends checking the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster for additional trusted options.
Do Your Homework
Be wary of criminals who ooze to the surface to prey on Good Samaritans. Charity Navigator features a list of legitimate organizations assisting with Harvey relief efforts.
Get commuter news and transit updates delivered to your inbox. Subscribe to our semiweekly newsletter!