The Metropolitan Police Department hosts the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics on Friday across D.C. The event features a 5K run/walk that begins at MPD headquarters and ends with a barbecue at Fort McNair.
The following streets will be closed from approximately 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
- C Street, NW, between 3rd Street to 6th Street, NW
- North on 3rd Street, NW, to West on G Street, NW
- South on 5th Street, NW, to East on Indiana Avenue, NW
- South on 3rd Street, NW/SW, to Maryland Avenue, SW
- West on Independence Avenue, SW, to 4th Street, SW
- South on 4th Street, SW, to Eye Street, SW
- East on Eye Street, SW, to Delaware Avenue, SW
- South on Delaware Avenue, SW, to 4th Street, SW
- South on 4th Street, SW, to P Street, SW
- East on P Street, SW, to Fort McNair to the Finish Line
Funds raised for this event help provide year-round sports, health and inclusion programs free of charge to children and adults with intellectual disabilities. As of Wednesday night, the event has raised $14,190 - less than 30 percent of the $50,000 goal. To donate, click on this link. You can also pay to participate in the run in person or virtually via this link.