Construction of a new Fairfax County commuter parking garage at the future Metrorail Herndon Station site along the Silver Line will close the access road from Sunrise Valley Drive to the Herndon-Monroe park-and-ride facility from Friday through Sunday, Nov. 26.
Commuters who wish to use the existing Herndon-Monroe garage during this time will need to enter and exit the facility via the Dulles Toll Road (Rt. 267). This detour requires drivers to pay a $1 toll upon exiting the garage with an E-Z Pass or by using exact change, the Fairfax County Department of Transportation announced Sunday.
Alternate park-and-ride facilities include the following:
- Reston South Park-and-Ride, located at the intersection of Reston Parkway and Fox Mill Road (parking is free but limited)
- Commuter parking garage at the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station, where parking costs $4.95 per day, payable by SmartTrip card, or credit and debit card).
Fairfax Connector passengers using routes that serve the Herndon-Monroe Park-and-Ride facility should expect significant delays. Construction in the area will also cause the following bus stops on Sunrise Valley Drive—served by Routes 924, 926, 927, 937, 950, 951 and 551—to be missed:
- Stop #3495 at Colt Brook Drive
- Stop #3541 at Milburn Lane
- Stop #3566 at Thunder Chase Drive
Questions about the project should be directed to Fairfax County transportation officials. Call 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608 (Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.) or email email@example.com.
Sign up for our free newsletter, delivered to your inbox Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.