Here’s the simplest form of commuting—one foot in front of the other, repeat, repeat, repeat. From the cherry blossoms lining the Tidal Basin (don’t we have a race coming up?) to the monuments along the National Mall, Washington, DC has plenty of scenic routes.
Our friends at UnderArmour give us the deets on the most popular routes based on usage data from MapMyRun.com. They can easily double as short bicycling routes. The route names, location, length of run and busiest dates/times follow.
1. Roosevelt Loop, Arlington, Va. - 1.2 miles - Saturday at 12 pm
2. East Potomac Park, DC - 4.9 miles - Sunday at 11 am
3. Three-Mile Mall Loop, DC - 3 miles - Thursday at 10 am
4. Naval Academy Loop, Annapolis, Md. - 3.8 miles - Wednesday at 10 am (Editor’s note: Yes, Annapolis is a stretch to be considered DC. Close enough for government work.)
5. Greenbelt Park Perimeter Trail, New Carrollton, Md. - 5.2 miles - Wednesday at 4 pm
6. Quiet Waters Loop, Hillsmere Shores, Md. - 4 miles - Sunday at 12 pm
7. Pentagon - LBJ - Lincoln - Jefferson Memorial, Arlington, Va. and DC - 4.2 miles - Monday at 10 am
8. Penn-Benning Loop, Silver Hill, Md. - 4.28 miles - Saturday at 1 pm
9. Loews Annapolis Loop, Annapolis, Md. - 4.6 miles - Monday at 7 pm
You can get maps of the routes here. Enjoy!
Be the first to know about major events, transit disruptions and road closures. Subscribe to our free Capital Shortcut newsletter, served up for breakfast on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.