The work to install Express Lanes on I-66 Outside the Beltway continues this week, with lane closures that will impact drivers in the Gainesville area.
Here’s a look at what you can expect if you’re driving on I-66 Tuesday through Thursday night.
- Three left lanes of eastbound I-66 between Catharpin Road and University Boulevard will close starting at 7:30 p.m. All lanes will re-open by 5 a.m.
- One lane of the exit ramp from northbound Route 29 to eastbound I-66 will close. There will be occasional 15-minute stoppages on the exit ramp.
- Traffic on the eastbound I-66/Route 29 collector-distributor road will be shifted to the outside shoulder. Once this lane shift happens, traffic will be reduced to three lanes at the Route 29 interchange.
- Three left lanes of eastbound I-66 between Route 29 in Gainesville and Prince William Parkway (Route 234 Bypass) will close starting at 8 p.m. both night. All lanes will re-open by 5 a.m.
- Occasional 15-minute stoppages and slowdowns along eastbound I-66 each night
There will be a meeting to discuss the Transform I-66 changes on Tuesday evening. Click here for details and to read the meeting materials.