The Virginia Department of Transportation has awarded $85.7 million contract to widen a four-mile stretch of Interstate 66 in Fairfax and Arlington Counties.
Lane Construction Corp. of Chantilly hopes to have the new eastbound lane open for traffic by 2020. The widening will take place on I-66 between the Dulles Connector Road (Virginia Route 267) and Fairfax Drive (Virginia Route 237).
The contract awarded Dec. 6 also calls for Lane Construction to make the following improvements by 2021:
- Ramp modifications at Exits 69 and 71
- Repair and rehabilitation of bridges
- Construction of noise barriers on both sides of the highway
- A new grade-separated crossing of the Washington & Old Dominion Trail at Lee Highway
- A new auxiliary lane added to the existing I-66 eastbound exit ramp
- A new slip ramp from the I-66 eastbound exit ramp to the Route 8 southbound exit ramp—designed to provide more direct access to the West Falls Church Metro Station parking garage